Festung Mont Royal
Starting in 1687, the French “Sun King” Louis XIV engaged his
brilliant architect and master builder Vauban to build a huge fortress
on the peninsular mountain high above Traben. The fortress provided
space for 12,000 soldiers and 3,000 horses.
However, only eleven
years later, the French destroyed the fortress themselves in 1698 after
the Peace of Rijswijck. Only during the last century were archaeological
excavations conducted on Mont Royal under the direction of the homeland
artist, Dr. Ernst Willen Spies, using original drawings from Parisian
archives. Today, only a few remnants of the once mighty walls, casemates
and cellar vaults are still preserved. The plans of the fortress and
archeological findings it from are on display in the Middle Mosel
During the season, guided tours through the fortress ruins are
routinely conducted. Special, individual tours are available for Groups.